I went out into the coop tonight to check on the hens. Only 3 out of 7 were on the roost. Hmmmm. This is not so good – they need to be up off the ground and on the roost … Continue reading
Category Archives: chickens
I’m inspired here to write my own top ten reasons to keep bees. I wholeheartedly agree, point by point, why everyone should own chickens….
Originally posted on Two Barn Farm:
Here’s a list of 10 Reasons why you should Own Chickens
- Fresh Eggs daily – Much better than store bought eggs. The egg white alone is about 33% more and it’s less expensive.
- Chickens have great personalities – Our favorite pastime is sit in the back garden with a couple of cold beers and watch the chickens (they look like miniature robots).
- Help out with the compost pile – Chicken poo is too hot (high in nitrogen to place directly onto growing plants) but it works wonder on your compost pile.
- They are very low maintenance – Easier than a cat or dog to maintain. Just top of their food and water them, clean the cage once in a while and collect eggs.
- You are One step closer to sustainable living – it feels good to have chickens, like you’re a real farmer
- Household leftovers are food for chickens…
View original 731 more words