I went out into the coop tonight to check on the hens. Only 3 out of 7 were on the roost. Hmmmm. This is not so good – they need to be up off the ground and on the roost … Continue reading
Category Archives: chickens
I’m inspired here to write my own top ten reasons to keep bees. I wholeheartedly agree, point by point, why everyone should own chickens….
Originally posted on The Soulsby Farm:
Here’s a list of 10 Reasons why you should Own Chickens
- Fresh Eggs daily – Much better than store bought eggs. The egg white alone is about 33% more and it’s less expensive.
- Chickens have great personalities – Our favorite pastime is sit in the back garden with a couple of cold beers and watch the chickens (they look like miniature robots).
- Help out with the compost pile – Chicken poo is too hot (high in nitrogen to place directly onto growing plants) but it works wonder on your compost pile.
- They are very low maintenance – Easier than a cat or dog to maintain. Just top of their food and water them, clean the cage once in a while and collect eggs.
- You are One step closer to sustainable living – it feels good to have chickens, like you’re a real farmer
- Household leftovers are food for chickens – These birds eat just about anything. When I peel cucumbers or carrots or chop of mushroom stems, I save it for the chickens (along with fruit rinds and skins) everything but potatoes and garlic. Unless you want your eggs to taste like garlic.
- Save a chicken from factory life – Have you ever seen the crap-holes commercial chickens live in? Enough said.
- Pest prevention – These hens cruise around and eat up a slew of bugs like; slugs, snails, leatherjackets and more.
- When they get old and stop laying you can eat them – I haven’t done this yet and I’m not sure I can.
- Be the best neighbor on the block – I thought my neighbors would complain about the chickens but in fact, it was just the opposite. They bring them veggie scraps and their grandchildren rush over to see the chickens upon every visit and…..wait for it…. They all get free eggs.
My wife hated all birds and not because of the classic Alfred Hitchcock movie The Birds about a bunch of crazy birds attacking people in growing numbers. She was scared of birds cause she was chased by a Pelican when she was little. Poor thing. So, talking her into chickens was tough but she bore no responsibility so she really didn’t care. Besides, she liked fresh eggs.